|‘Jascon 25’ arrives in Australia to remove ‘West Atlas’|
|Tuesday, 21 September 2010 18:02|
Australia: ‘Jascon 25’ has recently arrived in Australia to start work on the removal of the ‘West Atlas’ drilling rig.
For this project Sea Trucks Australia have formed a partnership with Svitzer Salvage Australasia. The jack-up drilling rig, which is currently located at the Montara Wellhead Platform in the Timor Sea between Australia and Indonesia, requires removal following damages suffered during a blowout of one of the Montara wells and subsequent fire in August and November 2009 respectively.
The contract includes the cleaning and removal of debris from the rig as well as the cantilever drill floor which is extended over the Wellhead Platform, followed by the jacking down of the rig and subsequent towing to Singapore.
The ‘Jascon 25’ will be the primary support vessel in the removal operation. ‘Jascon 25’ is one of Sea Trucks Group’s newly built multi-purpose DP3 offshore construction vessels equipped with an 800-tonne crane, large deck space and significant accommodation capacity.
Specifically for this project a hydraulically operated “intelligent” gangway has been installed for the safe transfer of personnel to and from the West Atlas rig.
This project follows the successful deployment of the ‘Jascon 25’ on the recent BHP Pyrenees Field Installation on which the vessel was employed for ten months.
Removal works of the ‘West Atlas’ rig are expected to run for approximately three months.
The project is being managed from Sea Trucks Australia’s Perth office by a combined Sea Trucks and Svitzer management and engineering team.
Latest Book Reviews
- Deep Sea And Foreign Going: Inside Shipping, The Invisible Industry That Brings You 90% Of Everything
- The Shark’s Paintbrush: Biomimicry and How Nature is Inspiring Innovation
- The American Clipper Ship, 1845-1920: A Comprehensive History, with a Listing of Builders and Their Ships
- Pollution Prevention From Ships: 30 Years of HELMEPA and MARPOL
- French Designs On Colonial New South Wales: François Péron’s Memoir on the English Settlement in New Holland, Van Diemen’s Land and The Archipelagos of the Great Pacific Ocean
- Through Albert’s Eyes: Volume 2 of the British Navy at War and Peace
- Coping With Piracy: Maritime Security Handbook
Latest CommentsKenny: Mermaid Sapphire is not a Mermaid Marine Australia vessel. The vessel is owned by Thai Company with ...
Rob simm: How does seeing a vessel operating outside of Australia in Sakalin, have anything to do with the MUA...
Dan Westerlund: To be noted that bigger (wider) ships can be built in Turku than in Papenburg. There have been negot...
Richard Stretch: Hi I am looking for information regarding Robert Farquhar.He was working at Walkers Limited earley i...