After repeated postponements, Indonesian shipyard PAL in Surabaya has launched the first Indonesian-built electric submarine.
The construction of KRI Alugoro was assisted by the South Korean company Daewoo under its US$1.1 billion project DSME1400.
That contract has produced two other submarines; KRI Nagapasa was commissioned in 2017 and KRI Ardadedali was transferred to the Indonesian navy in 2018.
Latest from The Australian Strategic Policy Institute
- US/Russian navy near-collision causes spat
- Non-operational Tupi-class subs to transfer from Brazil to Argentina
- UAE reports multi-ship "sabotage" following US warnings
- Australia investigates navy contract padding for Adelaide class
- Former JMSDF commander warns of Chinese sub plan for Senkaku Islands