Derecktor Shipyards of Mamaroneck, New York, launched a new cargo catamaran for Connecticut-based Harbor Harvest on Friday, April 12.
The 19-metre Captain Ben Moore is a purpose-built hybrid cargo vessel to be used for transporting farm and food products.
Harbor Harvest owner Bob Kunkel said the catamaran can carry up to five tonnes of cargo, which is the equivalent of the total capacity of three to five full trucks.
Upon delivery, Captain Ben Moore will transport farm products across Long Island Sound between Norwalk, Connecticut, and Huntington, New York.
Kunkel said it could complete the one-way journey in as little as 45 minutes whereas it would take trucks nine hours to travel between the two cities.
The newbuild’s maiden voyage is scheduled for May.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Future amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli completes builder's trials
- South Korean bulker boarded by pirates in South China Sea
- Saipem tapped to build wind farm offshore Saudi Arabia
- Hapag Lloyd, ONE to launch Middle East-India-Africa service
- Taiwan's first locally-built windfarm barge sails on maiden voyage