A plan for a Chinese company to take over the management of the Israeli port of Haifa is generating great concern in Israel.
Haifa is near the naval base that reportedly houses Israel’s nuclear-capable submarine fleet. The main worry is that the contract will affect Israel’s ability to work with the US Navy.
There are also fears that China could use the civilian port to build a military facility close to the Mediterranean’s vital sea lanes.
Critics are calling for a probe into Chinese infrastructure projects in the country, especially along the coast.
- CSSC Chengxi to build bulker pair for Hong Kong operator
- Shanghai Zhongyeliuhe delivers final one of six-vessel order by China Grain Flow
- Jiangsu Zhenjiang launches ASD tug for local operator
- Austal delivers expeditionary fast transport Burlington to US Navy
- US Navy commissions littoral combat ship Sioux City