Focus on Passenger Vessels
Lots in store for this month’s passenger vessel week, with a very diverse set of boats primarily from Europe and Asia.
China continues to expand into seemingly every maritime niche, with a pair of river tourism vessels, comprising a medium-sized boutique cruise ship for the Yangtze and a restaurant cruiser taking design cues from historical junks.
Ferries • Ro-Pax • Marine Tourism • Cruise • River/Lake Operations
Environmental friendliness remains a focus, with a pair of innovative, battery-powered ferries entering service in India and Germany, both acting as standard bearers for developing technologies in their respective areas of operation.
Viking pushes the boundaries of luxury, remote cruising, with Vard’s biggest newbuild so far hitting the water. Along with Chantiers de l’Atlantique’s latest, the delivery of large cruise ships shows no signs of slowing with new deliveries every month and full order books for years to come.
Finally, we present a trio of vastly different combination freight/passenger ferries, built in China, Lithuania and the Philippines, each tailored for a specific niche and handily showing off the vast variety of design and build capabilities of this fascinating and dynamic sector.
- Wonder of the Seas – Royal Caribbean’s largest ship boasts 6,800-guest capacity
- Changjiang San Hao – New luxury cruise ship built for Yangtze River features intelligent technology
- Klaipeda – Lithuanian operator takes delivery of locally-built connector ferry
- Zhujiang Gongzhu – Elegant, all-electric tour boat enters service on China’s Pearl River
- Warnowstromer – Solar-powered 80-pax commuter ferry for Rostock, Germany
- Viking Octantis – Advanced boutique ship for Great Lakes sailings
- Askea – Hybrid coastal shuttle and sightseeing ferry for Western France’s Arcachon Bay
- Muziris – Indian metro ferry operator goes hybrid electric with 100-pax newbuild
- Santa Editha – Philippines’ Montenegro Lines welcomes second 72m Ro-Pax to fleet
News and Gear:
- UK sets new minimum wage laws for seafarers
- Work Boat World Passenger Vessel Orders and Deliveries Roundup – May 12, 2022
- Italian builder lays keel of Explora Journeys’ second cruise ship
- 11 injured after river cruise ship hits bridge in southern Slovakia
- Washington State transport department cancelled ferry service to avoid daily bad press, local think tank reports
- Louisiana transport department issues tender for new vehicle ferry
- BC Ferries’ newest Ro-Pax enters service
- GEAR | Spirit of Tasmania’s new ferries to receive advanced firefighting systems
- US cruise line Azamara begins sailings of ex-Pacific Princess
- AD Ports Group, Red Sea Ports Authority form consortium to undertake infrastructure projects in Egypt
- Work Boat World Passenger Vessel Orders and Deliveries Roundup – May 5, 2022
- Sea trials begin for A’Rosa Cruises’ newest river ship
- Wreck of missing Japanese tour boat found off Hokkaido
Recent Important Features:
AWARDS 2021 | Best Medium Cruise Ship – Ultramarine – LMG Marin
– “Beyond the vessel’s attractive aesthetics, comfort, safety and robustness were integrated into the design for the well-being and enjoyment of passengers.”
AWARDS 2021 | Best Medium Ro-Pax – Hydra – LMG Marin & Westcon Yards
– “She is the world’s first vessel to be realised with a liquid hydrogen containment system, and probably the first hydrogen-powered vessel to enter commercial operations.”
Remember to come back every day to see the latest news, opinion and vessel reviews!
Call for content!
Any news or views about the global maritime tourism, ferry and cruise industries? Send it through to [email protected] ASAP (between now and May 13), so we can add it to this current edition of Passenger Vessel Week!
We are after:
- Vessels – Orders, new deliveries, under construction
- Gear – Latest innovations and technology in the passenger vessel sector
- Interviews – Owners, operators, terminal authorities, passenger vessel associations, etc.
- Reminiscences – Do you have any exciting, amusing or downright dangerous anecdotes from your time in the passenger vessel world? (example here)
- Other – Any other relevant news
Stay updated on future Passenger Vessel Weeks
Sign up here to be notified in advance about future Passenger Vessel Weeks.
Alex Baird is the Managing Director of Baird Maritime