This week we look again at the global market for pilot boats. While many mariners wonder, in this age of precise electronic navigation and endless computer accessible information, why we need pilots, they are still around.
Local knowledge, it seems, is still important enough for ship owners to be prepared to pay for it.
While that situation prevails, marine pilots will still require safe, fast and economical boats or helicopters to enable them to embark and disembark from the ships that they guide. Obviously, helicopters are hardly economical, so pilot boats are still required in most circumstances.
As with most of the boats we present on Baird Maritime, pilot boats are continually improving. They are safer, more economical, more durable and more comfortable than ever. Our articles that will follow over the next week will fully describe that welcome trend.
Vessel Reviews & Previews:
Features and Opinion:
– “The Moksong sailed the next day for Korea with a full load of sugar, and the captain seemed quite normal and never said a thing about the incident.”
– Alex Lang
News and Gear:
- New pilot boat pair ordered for Papua New Guinea
- Port of Cromarty Firth invites bids for pilot boat tender
- Gladding-Hearn to build fourth 16m boat for Maryland Pilots
- New boat delivered to Dutch Pilotage Service
- Jianglong completes pilot boat pair for Nigerian Ports Authority
- Briggs Marine’s newest pilot boat departs on delivery voyage
- Onezhsky floats out second hybrid workboat in series for Rosmorport
- SECO cuts steel for pilot boat trio for Tanzania Ports Authority
Remember to come back every day to see the latest news, opinion and vessel reviews!
Call for content!
Any news or views about the global pilotage industry? Send it through to [email protected] ASAP (between now and April 17), so we can add it to this current edition of Pilotage Week!
We are after:
- Vessels – Orders, new deliveries, under construction
- Gear – Latest innovations and technology in the pilot boat sector
- Interviews – Owners, operators, port authorities, marine pilotage associations etc.
- Reminiscences – Do you have any exciting, amusing or downright dangerous anecdotes from your time in the marine pilotage world? (example here)
- Other – Any other relevant news
Stay updated on future Pilotage Weeks
Sign up here to be notified in advance about future Pilotage Weeks.