Focus on Maritime Security
This week, we once again look into a selection of vessels performing a broad range of roles in the maritime security sector. Naval vessels again feature prominently, with two recent patrol boat deliveries to Australia, a new corvette completed for Saudi Arabia, and an offshore crewboat with modifications that will enable it to fulfill testing duties in UK service.
Assault Craft • Interceptors • Patrol • Police • Coast Guard • Naval
Non-naval operators are also included. A hybrid harbour patrol craft enters service with Singapore’s premier port authority and a new response vessel will be operated in Spain’s autonomous region of Galicia. Lastly, India’s Border Security Force (BSF) expands its enforcement fleet with the acquisition of locally made floating outposts. These unique vessels will operate primarily as staging and resupply bases for the BSF’s smaller fast boats that patrol the waters of the country’s eastern and western provinces.
- Narmada – New fleet of floating outposts for India’s Border Security Force
- Mar de Galicia – Locally built coast guard boat to serve Spain’s Galicia region
- Al-Jubail – Lead ship of new corvette class for Saudi Arabia
- MPA Guardian – Hybrid patrol boat enters service with Singapore port authority
- Patrick Blackett – Modified crewboat to be operated as Royal Navy testing vessel
- Cape Otway – New long-endurance patrol boats for Royal Australian Navy
Features and Opinion:
OPINION | Australia must do more to secure the cables that connect the Indo-Pacific
– “In the near future it won’t just be undersea communications cables and infrastructure that will require protection.”
– by Anthony Bergin, senior fellow at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, and Samuel Bashfield, research scholar at the National Security College at the Australian National University
News and Gear:
- Boxship, fishing vessel collide off Brest, France
- Ferry carrying over 200 passengers runs aground in Iloilo, Philippines
- Maritime Security Vessel News Roundup | August 10 – New fast cutter for US Coast Guard, US Navy and Guyana Defence Force vessel orders
- Maritime aspects of China’s response to Pelosi Taiwan visit
- One killed after US Coast Guard cutter, fishing boat collide off Puerto Rico
- Maritime Security Vessel News Roundup | August 3 – US and UK naval vessel deliveries, customs patrol boat for Taiwan and more
- Emergency Service Vessel News Roundup | August 2 – SAR boats for China, Australia and Iceland, a long-range patrol ship for Taiwan, Italian-built police craft fleet for Libya
- Canadian Coast Guard, Good Samaritans rescue occupants of ferry following onboard fire off Prince Edward Island
- Maritime Security Vessel News Roundup | July 26 – Thai and Alabama police boats, US and Saudi naval ship deliveries and more
- Indian Navy aircraft carrier suffers third onboard fire
Recent Important Features:
OPINION | What China’s condemnation of AUKUS says about Beijing
– “The region as a whole was shocked, with even many of Australia’s better friends finding it difficult to be more than ambivalent about the announcement’s merits.”
– by Ron Huisken, adjunct associate professor at the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre at the Australian National University
COLUMN | Ship-launched UAVs set to revolutionise naval aviation [Naval Gazing]
– “It is not surprising that leading navies are shifting their focus towards the deployment of unmanned aerial vehicles for front line tasks including air-to-air refueling, surveillance, and strike.”
– by Trevor Hollingsbee, former UK Royal Navy officer and Baird Maritime‘s resident maritime security expert and columnist
Remember to come back every day to see the latest news, opinion and vessel reviews!
Call for content!
Any news or views about the global maritime security sectors? Send it through to [email protected] ASAP (between now and August 12), so we can add it to this current edition of Maritime Security Week!
We are after:
- Vessels – Orders, new deliveries, under construction
- Gear – Latest innovations and technology in the maritime security vessel sector
- Interviews – Owners, operators, water police, navies, coast guards etc.
- Reminiscences – Do you have any exciting, amusing or downright dangerous anecdotes from your time in the maritime security world? (example here)
- Other – Any other relevant news
Stay updated on future Maritime Security Weeks
Sign up here to be notified in advance about future Maritime Security Weeks.
The best maritime site on the web. The sea's our scene!