Focus on Tug and Salvage Operations
While a number of specialist designers, builders, propulsion systems and winch manufacturers now dominate what has become a very international market, we continue to see new designs and builds from all corners of the globe, with fitouts adapted to local conditions.
Tugs in general are becoming more powerful, more compact and easier to handle. They are also becoming more economical, with smaller crews, and less polluting. The introduction of hybrid and all-electric models continues, and demonstrations of autonomous operation provide a possible glimpse into the future of the sector.
Tugs • Towboats • Pusher Tugs • ATBs • Salvage • Autonomy • Marine Environment
Salvage operations, which almost always involve tugs, continue to develop on the technology, equipment and environmental awareness fronts, and are far ahead of where they were just a few years ago.
All in all, it’s a very exciting industry and remains one of the strongest workboat sectors. Continue to follow this landing page over the next few days to keep abreast of all the latest tug and salvage news, gear and vessel reviews.
- Laura Blessey Todd – Blessey Marine Services’ new inland pusher tug features innovative hull design
- Polaris & Clean Canaveral – Largest Jones Act-compliant LNG bunkering ATB to serve southeastern US market
- Elektra – World’s first hydrogen-fuelled tug to operate in Germany’s inland waters
- Balraj & Balbir – Indian Navy tugs to perform ship assist and emergency response duties
- Charles Hughes – New pusher tug for Maryland’s Vane Brothers boasts improved performance and safety features
- Mailiao 1505 – Multi-role tug pair for Formosa Plastics Corporation
News and Gear:
- Blast kills one on boxship off Talisay City, Philippines
- German waterways administration awards tug service tenders to Fairplay Towage subsidiary
- Turkish builder completes tug trio for Smit Lamnalco
- Rawabi Vallianz Offshore welcomes two new tugs to fleet
- Update on double tug salvage at the Port of Devonport
- Saam Towage acquires two British Columbia tug companies
- Contract awarded for new tug for Kenya Ports Authority
- Guinean operator to get new port maintenance workboat
- Kotug to acquire UAE-based OSV operator
- Crowley takes delivery of fourth tug in series
- US Army Corps of Engineers orders tug pair from Louisiana builder
- New tug to be delivered to Saam Towage
- Singapore tug operator wraps up autonomous navigation project
- Tug captain’s sleep inertia led to tow striking lock gate in Louisiana, NTSB report reveals
- New pusher tug joins Crescent Marine Towing fleet
Recent Important Features:
AWARDS 2021 | Best Ocean Tug – Saam Acaxual – Robert Allan Ltd & Uzmar Shipyard
– “These remarkable vessels have everything needed in the way of deck equipment, electronics, firefighting equipment, and safety gear to perform every imaginable role required of modern tugs.”
AWARDS 2021 | Best Lineboat – Gannet – Robert Allan Ltd & Sanmar Shipyards
– “The challenge was to build a tug with that size, but with a greater number of roles compared to a simple mooring boat.”
AWARDS 2021 | Best Ice-Class Tug – Selene – Robert Allan Ltd & Sanmar Shipyards
– “One of these requirements was to have good seakeeping and performance in open water and at the same time the best possible icebreaking capability.”
AWARDS 2021 | Best Small Harbour Tug – Le Moros – Piriou
– “The tug is capable of towing operations whether from the rear or alongside, pushing operations, and deep-sea towing from the rear.”
Remember to come back every day to see the latest news, opinion and vessel reviews!
Call for content!
Any news or views about the global tug and salvage sectors? Send it through to [email protected] ASAP (between now and April 22), so we can add it to this current edition of Tug and Salvage Week!
We are after:
- Vessels – Orders, new deliveries, under construction
- Gear – Latest innovations and technology in the tug and salvage sector
- Interviews – Owners, operators, builders, designers, etc.
- Reminiscences – Do you have any exciting, amusing or downright dangerous anecdotes from your time in the tug and salvage world? (example here)
- Other – Any other relevant news
Stay updated on future Tug and Salvage Weeks
Sign up here to be notified in advance about future Tug and Salvage Weeks.
Alex Baird is the Managing Director of Baird Maritime