Focus on Unmanned Craft
Baird Maritime once again trains the spotlight on the world of unmanned vessels in both commercial and security applications. Included in this week’s lineup of reviewed vessels are two unmanned naval vehicles for Turkey and the UK, a high-speed survey vessel for a German operator, and two large autonomous Ro-Ro ships that will support the distribution activities of a Norwegian supermarket chain.
Unmanned Surface Vehicles • Unmanned Underwater Vehicles • Remotely Operated Vehicles
This week, we also take a more detailed look into the different ways these innovative craft are being utilised. Two of the feature articles discuss survey missions on shipwrecks off Finland and further south in the waters of the Meditarranean, which has seen some key archaeological discoveries over the last 30 years.
Remember to visit Baird Maritime over the coming days to get the latest developments in the rapidly-evolving unmanned craft sector.
- Sancar – New locally-built armed USV for Turkish Navy
- High-speed USV for German survey company
- Marit & Therese – Autonomous electric Ro-Ro pair for Norway’s Asko Maritime
- UUV trio to expand UK Royal Navy’s minehunting force
Features and Opinion:
FEATURE | Finnish Environment Institute to investigate possible high-risk shipwreck in southern waters
– “The aim of the investigation is to 3D model the wreck for further operations and to find out how it could be drained of oil.”
FEATURE | ROVs play key role in UNESCO shipwreck mapping mission in Mediterranean Sea
– “Archaeologists were happy to find that the state of conservation of these shipwrecks and artefacts is almost the same as it was nearly 30 years ago, when they were discovered.”
FEATURE | Swedish Royal Navy tests interceptor following autonomous system refit
– “The vessel is now being operated as a testbed for communication systems, sensors, cameras, and lasers for autonomous navigation.”
News and Gear:
- Maritime Security Vessel News Roundup | September 29 – US and Colombian naval ships, Turkey’s newest unmanned combat vessel and more
- US Navy ROV, other assets to assist in aircraft salvage operation off Whidbey Island, Washington
- Tug and Salvage Vessel News Roundup | September 21 – Newbuilds for Turkey, Panama, Bulgaria and Netherlands, US pusher tug nearing completion and autonomous refit progress
- US Navy foils Iranian attempt to capture unmanned vessels in Arabian Gulf
- Maritime Security Vessel News Roundup | August 25 – Nigerian Navy RIBs, US Navy autonomous crewboat and more
- ABS, SpaceX to jointly develop autonomous ships for rocket recovery
Recent Important Features:
FEATURE | UK company developing hydrogen-fuelled autonomous vessel prototype
– “The developers expect the vessel will have a maximum endurance of 60 days.”
FEATURE | US naval shipbuilder successfully demonstrates coordinated manned and unmanned vessel operations
– “HII is currently exploring modifications for other UUV’s and participating in live demonstrations with the fleet within the next year.”
Call for content!
Any news or views about the unmanned vessel industries? Send it through to [email protected] ASAP (between now and September 30), so we can add it to this current edition of Unmanned Craft Week!
We are after:
- Vessels – Orders, new deliveries, under construction
- Gear – Latest innovations and technology in the unmanned vessel sector
- Interviews – Owners, operators, research organisations, etc.
- Reminiscences – Do you have any exciting, amusing or downright dangerous anecdotes from your time in the unmanned vessel world? (example here)
- Other – Any other relevant news
The best maritime site on the web. The sea's our scene!