Focus on Research and Training
This week’s lineup of research and training vessel reviews covers newbuilds serving a variety of roles in the waters of Europe and the Far East. Some vessels are equipped for multi-disciplinary use while others are optimised for supporting activities in the offshore industry.
Marine Research • Maritime Training • Maritime Archaeology
As an indication of a growing trend, the designs also include those capable of low-emission operations. This will permit these vessels to be used in environmentally sensitive areas, as their operation can contribute to the preservation of local ecosystems.
- BGP Innovator – All-electric vessel to support China’s offshore exploration activities
- Alfred Merlin – Research vessel delivered to French underwater archaeology organisation
- Tarajoq – Fisheries research vessel designed for Greenland’s waters
- Tom Crean – Multi-disciplinary vessel enters service with Ireland’s Marine Institute
News, Gear, and Book Reviews:
- BOOK REVIEW | Working Boats: An Inside Look at Ten Amazing Watercraft
- Report shows compliance shortcomings, crew inexperience caused survey boat flooding incident in Lynmouth, England
- Over US$8 million earmarked for fish habitat restoration in four US states
- New NOAA study shows modifying fishing gear reduces shark bycatch in Pacific waters
- Research and Training Vessel News Roundup | August 18 – Russian and US survey boat deliveries, hybrid newbuilding order for California coastal waters
Recent Important Features:
FEATURE | French consortium to develop new Arctic research station
– “The objective is to establish a drifting observatory and laboratory to study the ecosystems of the central Arctic ocean.”
Remember to come back every day to see the latest news, opinion and vessel reviews!
Call for content!
Any news or views about the marine research and training industry? Send it through to [email protected] ASAP (between now and September 16), so we can add it to this current edition of Research and Training Week!
We are after:
- Vessels – Orders, new deliveries, under construction
- Gear – Latest innovations and technology in the marine research and training sectors
- Interviews – Owners, operators, marine research institutes, maritime training schools, etc.
- Reminiscences – Do you have any exciting, amusing or downright dangerous anecdotes from your time in the research and training vessel world? (example here)
- Other – Any other relevant news
Stay updated on future Research and Training Weeks
The best maritime site on the web. The sea's our scene!