Focus on Passenger Vessels
Baird Maritime once again presents an assortment of featured vessel types for this latest focus on passenger vessel operations. New cruise ships are in operation in the coastal waters of Norway and some of Europe’s famed rivers as recently delivered ferries begin sailings in China and the Caspian Sea.
Ferries • Ro-Pax • Marine Tourism • Cruise • River/Lake Operations
Also featured are three tour boats powered by hybrid propulsion. Two are for inland sailings in France and the third is a Swedish-built high-speed craft with a hull originally designed for at-sea interceptions. This particular example will provide wildlife excursions in Norway’s Svalbard archipelago.
- Maggie Cat – New shuttle and whale-watching ferry to serve Australia’s Magnetic Island
- La Charente – French inland operator takes delivery of sightseeing barge pair
- Zarifa Aliyeva – Azerbaijan’s newest large-capacity rail ferry built for Caspian Sea sailings
- Emerald Luna – River ship to serve Emerald Cruises’ Netherlands and Belgium itineraries
- Havila Castor – LNG-fuelled newbuild is second in series for Norwegian cruise company
- Yangsheng 10 – New luxury Ro-Pax for Chinese waters
- A-Rosa Sena – Germany’s A-Rosa Cruises adds hybrid river ship to fleet
- Kvitbjørn – Fast hybrid boat for Norwegian Arctic tour operator
News, Gear, and Book Reviews:
- Passenger Vessel News Roundup | September 16 – Korean and Russian catamaran ferries, cruise ship orders and upcoming delivery
- Italian probe reveals third vessel involved in ferry disaster that killed over 100 in 1991
- LETTERS | Battery companies should push the envelope for safer and better solutions
- GEAR | Large inflatable lifeboat for cruise ships secures Lloyd’s Register type approval
- Marine Propulsion News Roundup | September 15 – Offshore wind SOV engines, generators for US Navy submarines and more
- Nine killed in boat collision in Madagascar
- Five dead after charter boat capsizes off Kaikoura, New Zealand
- River cruise ship damaged following collision in fog near Wesel, Germany
- Passenger Vessel News Roundup | September 9 – Ferries for US, Sweden, France and Estonia
- German start-up develops water-based process for recycling ships
- BOOK REVIEW | Working Boats: An Inside Look at Ten Amazing Watercraft
- Swedish court fines two filmmakers for disturbing wreck site of ferry that sank in Baltic Sea in 1994
- UK’s Portland Port undertakes £26 million berth development
Recent Important Features:
OPINION | Norwegian electric tour boat smoke incident: a marine surveyor raises concerns
– “As so often seems to be the case in the marine world, it appears that technology is running faster than the rule makers or maritime regulators can keep up with.”
– by Mike Schwartz, Chief Executive Officer of the International Institute of Marine Surveying
Remember to come back every day to see the latest news, opinion and vessel reviews!
Call for content!
Any news or views about the global maritime tourism, ferry and cruise industries? Send it through to [email protected] ASAP (between now and September 16), so we can add it to this current edition of Passenger Vessel Week!
We are after:
- Vessels – Orders, new deliveries, under construction
- Gear – Latest innovations and technology in the passenger vessel sector
- Interviews – Owners, operators, terminal authorities, passenger vessel associations, etc.
- Reminiscences – Do you have any exciting, amusing or downright dangerous anecdotes from your time in the passenger vessel world? (example here)
- Other – Any other relevant news
Stay updated on future Passenger Vessel Weeks
Sign up here to be notified in advance about future Passenger Vessel Weeks.
The best maritime site on the web. The sea's our scene!