The US Navy's newest fast-attack submarine, USS Indiana (SSN 789), will be commissioned at the navy port at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on September 29, 2018.
It will be the sixteenth Virginia-class submarine to join the fleet.
Indiana has special features to support SOF, including a reconfigurable torpedo room which can accommodate a large number of SOF and all their equipment for prolonged deployments and future off-board payloads.
Also, in Virginia-class SSNs, traditional periscopes have been replaced by two photonics masts that host visible and infrared digital cameras atop telescoping arms.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- VESSEL REVIEW | Amelia and Johan – Purpose built cats boost Hawaii’s scuba diving charter industry
- VESSEL REVIEW | SST Grizzly and SST Orca – Escort tug beasts for British Columbia
- FEATURE | BIMCO: Maritime powers need to deploy in Gulf of Guinea
- FEATURE | US container imports break records but uncertainty lies ahead
- FEATURE | Battle for the supply chain to aide container supply-demand balance