Focus on Unmanned Craft
This month’s focus on unmanned craft includes reviews of both remotely operated vessels and those capable of autonomous operations. USVs include those for long-range survey and research missions while new ROVs will support exploration and offshore maintenance activities.
Unmanned Surface Vehicles • Unmanned Underwater Vehicles • Remotely Operated Vehicles
One autonomous craft featured is a new vessel currently undergoing trials prior to fully entering operational use with the Royal Australian Navy. This craft utilises a proven design that has already undergone rigorous testing in the United States, and the Australian military is now studying its other possible applications.
- USV Inanibus – UK-designed unmanned vessel to conduct windfarm site surveys
- Aurora – Versatile, deep-diving ROV for Norwegian research non-profit
- VESSEL REFIT | USV Dart – UK’s South Devon College to utilise drone for maritime training purposes
- Argus – Versatile hybrid survey and inspection USV for Norway’s Argeo
- Royal Australian Navy debuts fast autonomous boat
- Work-class ROVs to perform oilfield support duties in Brazil
News and Gear:
- ABS, SpaceX to jointly develop autonomous ships for rocket recovery
- Norwegian companies form two new unmanned vessel joint ventures
- Marine projects joint venture formed in Abu Dhabi
- New Turkish-built armed USV hits the water
- UK’s Plymouth Marine Laboratory to develop long-range autonomous research vessel
- Australian-Canadian partnership to introduce new series of unmanned naval vehicles
- New Chinese large autonomous research ship hits the water
Recent Important Features:
– “Amid all this digital progress, the promoters invariably live in a perfect world of unreality, where voyages progress smoothly and nothing ever goes wrong.”
– by Michael Grey, regular Baird Maritime contributor and former long-term editor of Lloyd’s List
Call for content!
Any news or views about the unmanned vessel industries? Send it through to [email protected] ASAP (between now and June 24), so we can add it to this current edition of Unmanned Craft Week!
We are after:
- Vessels – Orders, new deliveries, under construction
- Gear – Latest innovations and technology in the unmanned vessel sector
- Interviews – Owners, operators, research organisations, etc.
- Reminiscences – Do you have any exciting, amusing or downright dangerous anecdotes from your time in the unmanned vessel world? (example here)
- Other – Any other relevant news