Ports of Auckland has signed a contract with Damen Shipyards Group for the world's first full-size, fully electric port tug.
The reverse stern drive (RSD) vessel will have a length of 25 metres, a beam of 13 metres, and a bollard pull of 70 tonnes.
Delivery is scheduled for 2021.
Ports of Auckland CEO Tony Gibson said that up to NZ$12 million (US$7.82 million) in operating cost savings would be realised over the electric tug's expected service life of 25 years.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Philippines to order two more warships from South Korean builder
- DPIRD conducts Gascoyne pink snapper fishery protection patrols
- US firm approves NOK 2.3 billion loan for new wind farm for O&G platforms
- Death toll in Bay of Bengal vessel fire climbs to three
- Team RB-M consortium delivers response boat pair for Jordanian navy