Jensen Maritime Consultants of Seattle has provided the detailed design for an initial four and option for six additional Tier IV tractor tugs being built by Nichols Brothers Boat Builders for Foss Maritime.
The 90-tonne bollard pull tugs are based on an existing Jensen design, which has been modified to meet Foss Maritime’s requirements.
Once delivered, the new tugs will be deployed along the US West Coast.
The 30- by 12-metre tugs are multi-functional to include ship assist and escort capabilities as well as towing. Powered by twin Z-drive propulsion units, the tugs will be suitable for offshore service, ship assist, escort, manoeuvring, and docking.
- Wreck of WWII-era US patrol boat found off Maine
- New response boat delivered to US Coast Guard station in Burlington
- Nearly two million litres of oil recovered from WWII-era shipwreck off New York
- Foss' newest tug additions begin work in Alaska's North Slope
- US tug operator pleads guilty in Canada for 2016 BC oil spill