Fukuoka-based Eco Marine Power (EMP) has established a new research institute that will serve as a link between ship- and marine-related research projects and research locations.
The institute will co-ordinate research project and research locations to enable sharing of knowledge and resources. It will also conduct research with other companies working with renewable energy and green shipping-related technologies.
Topics and research areas to be investigated by the institute include:
- Study of ship and marine solar power systems including photovoltaic (PV) panel technologies
- Airflow around ships and marine structures
- Ship-based automation, control, and monitoring systems
- Autonomous and unmanned vessels
- Energy storage technologies including fuel cells
Activities related to the Aquarius Unmanned Surface Vessel (pictured) and Aquarius Eco Ship projects will also be co-ordinated by the EMP Research Institute.
The best maritime site on the web. The sea's our scene!