Focus on Marine Pilotage
Baird Maritime once again takes a closer look into the important marine pilotage industry by reviewing recently delivered boats in service around the world.
Traditional-use pilot launches are now in operation in ports in Libya, Morocco, and the United States. A UK harbour commission will use its newest boat for patrol duties in addition to pilot transfers. Finally, the Chinese port of Qingdao takes delivery of a transfer vessel featuring a prominent SWATH design for improved seakeeping.
- Alogla – Pilot boat pair built for Libyan waters
- Triumph VII – Oregon inland waterway operator expands pilotage fleet
- Colne Leader – UK’s Brightlingsea Harbour welcomes pilot/patrol launch
- VB Mouna – New pilot boat to serve Morocco’s Tanger-Med Port
- Ande – SWATH pilot boat deployed at China’s Qingdao Port
News and Gear:
- One dead following vessel transfer mishap off IJmuiden, Netherlands
- Pilot Boat News Roundup | March 14 – Deliveries to US, UK and Morocco plus an order from a Western Australia port operator
- Pilot dead following man-overboard mishap in Singapore’s Southern Islands
- Pilot Boat News Roundup | December 21 – Deliveries to Spain and Libya plus Norwegian and UK orders
- New small vessel operator’s guidance discusses recovery of persons in the water
Recent Important Features:
– “If anyone can find a solution, it is probably the pilots themselves since they are most familiar with the problems and have the most to gain.”
– by Alan Loynd, master mariner and former General Manager of the Hong Kong Salvage and Towage company
Remember to come back every day to see the latest news, opinion and vessel reviews!
Call for content!
Any news or views about the global pilotage industry? Send it through to [email protected] ASAP (between now and May 12), so we can add it to this current edition of Pilotage Week!
We are after:
- Vessels – Orders, new deliveries, under construction
- Gear – Latest innovations and technology in the pilot boat sector
- Interviews – Owners, operators, port authorities, marine pilotage associations, etc.
- Reminiscences – Do you have any exciting, amusing or downright dangerous anecdotes from your time in the marine pilotage world? (example here)
- Other – Any other relevant news
Stay updated on future Pilotage Weeks
Sign up here to be notified in advance about future Pilotage Weeks.