The Australian Defence Force (ADF) is continuing to assist the international search and rescue operation for two participants in the Golden Globes Race following significant damage to their vessels, approximately 1,800 nautical miles off the West Australian coast.
The French fisheries patrol vessel Osiris recovered the injured sailor Abhilash Tomy from the damaged yacht Thuriya, and another sailor, Gregor McGuckin, from a second damaged yacht.
Both sailors were transported to Amsterdam Island on September 25.
Coordinated by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority Joint Rescue Coordination Centre, the Royal Australian Navy's HMAS Ballarat and the Royal Australian Air Force's P-8A Poseidon aircraft responded at short notice to help locate both yachts and render assistance.
HMAS Ballarat will reach Amsterdam Island on Thursday, September 27, and will provide medical assistance to the injured yachtsmen.
Incat to build world’s largest aluminium ship
in Ro-Pax World
- VESSEL REVIEW | The Ox – Six-metre work punt for Australian shipyard
BOOK REVIEW | The Submarine Six – Australian Naval Heroes
in Book Reviews
- Cattle carrier rescues two castaways from shark-infested waters in Darwin Harbour
- Australia investigates navy contract padding for Adelaide class
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Philippines’ first missile-capable frigate to be launched on May 23
- Huangpu Wenchong delivers second of six 1,400TEU vessels to Containerships
- Jiangsu Hantong launches fourth 82,000DWT bulker for Oldendorff
- Viking wins Norwegian Police Service patrol boat contract
- New fireboat delivered to Rabun County, Georgia