The Australian Defence Force (ADF) is continuing to assist the international search and rescue operation for two participants in the Golden Globes Race following significant damage to their vessels, approximately 1,800 nautical miles off the West Australian coast.
The French fisheries patrol vessel Osiris recovered the injured sailor Abhilash Tomy from the damaged yacht Thuriya, and another sailor, Gregor McGuckin, from a second damaged yacht.
Both sailors were transported to Amsterdam Island on September 25.
Coordinated by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority Joint Rescue Coordination Centre, the Royal Australian Navy's HMAS Ballarat and the Royal Australian Air Force's P-8A Poseidon aircraft responded at short notice to help locate both yachts and render assistance.
HMAS Ballarat will reach Amsterdam Island on Thursday, September 27, and will provide medical assistance to the injured yachtsmen.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Awilco orders second semi-submersible drilling rig from Keppel FELS
- Jiangsu Zhenjiang cuts steel for seven tugs for COSCO Shipping Bulk
- Royal IHC to build second TSHD for National Marine Dredging Company
- McDermott awarded Middle East offshore EPCI contract
- Topaz and BP sign contract extension for 12 vessels