A fire broke out on a passenger vessel that was docked in Mandaue City in Cebu province, Philippines, in the early morning hours of Wednesday, July 10.
The Philippine Coast Guard received a distress call from the crew of the Trans Asia Shipping Lines Ro-Pax Trans Asia 1 at around 03:48 local time saying that a blaze had erupted in the galley and was in danger of spreading.
Firefighters from Mandaue City arrived at the scene in minutes to evacuate the crew and extinguish the blaze. All 36 crewmembers were evacuated safely though one had suffered minor head injuries and was treated on-site.
Coast guard and arson investigators boarded Trans Asia 1 after the fire was declared under control at 07:18.
A coast guard official told local reporters that the incident was caused by faulty electrical wiring in one of the galley’s air blowers.
The best maritime site on the web. The sea's our scene!