Damen Shipyards has signed a contract with multinational public transport company Arriva Danmark for five fully-electric ferries.
Arriva will operate the ferries for its client, Danish public transport agency MOVIA, in the country’s capital city Copenhagen.
For the tender process of the contract, Damen said its in-house engineering team conducted extensive studies into how best to maximise environmental performance and cost-effectiveness of the proposed vessels. They determined that a fully electric solution offered the best results in terms of sustainability.
The vessels will have a capacity for 80 passengers and be built so that the vessels can dock – bow first – at the existing jetties.
Fast charging points will be installed at the jetties at the end of each route.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Philippines to order two more warships from South Korean builder
- DPIRD conducts Gascoyne pink snapper fishery protection patrols
- US firm approves NOK 2.3 billion loan for new wind farm for O&G platforms
- Death toll in Bay of Bengal vessel fire climbs to three
- Team RB-M consortium delivers response boat pair for Jordanian navy