The defence ministries of Belgium and the Netherlands have signed a €2 billion (US$2.27 billion) contract with a consortium formed by Naval Group and ECA Robotics for the supply of six new mine countermeasures vessels (MCMVs).
The Belgium Naval and Robotics consortium will provide the two signatory countries with six MCMVs each under the contract, which was originally announced in March of this year.
Each 2,800-tonne vessel will be able to launch and recover autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs), towed sonars, and unmanned surface vessels (USVs). The USVs themselves will be able to launch and recover remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) equipped with mine identification/destruction systems.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Over 200 evacuated following chemical leak on Swedish ferry
- Turkey abandons salvage efforts on sunken cargo ship
- NTSB cites overloading, poor stability assessment in fatal fishing boat capsizing
- Robert Allan Ltd, MTU unveil design of LNG-fueled pushboat
- Prosafe platform gets fourth contract extension under Equinor