A refurbished Type 053 frigate formerly operated by China's People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) was formally handed over to the Sri Lankan government in a ceremony in Shanghai earlier this month.
The 111.7- by 12.4-metre Tongling will soon set sail for Sri Lanka and is expected to arrive by the end of June.
A Sri Lankan Navy official has said the frigate will also be deployed on search and rescue (SAR) missions in addition to conducting maritime security patrols.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Two more charged in deadly Missouri duck boat sinking
- Onezhsky Shipbuilding launches Project 3265 buoy tender
- Mermaid Maritime secures US$65 million loan facility for financing of DSV pair
- Apache North Sea awards second contract extension for Esvagt Observer
- Alaska's largest ferry to be taken out of service