The last two of the Royal Australian Navy's (RAN) six 1980s-era Adelaide-class guided missile frigates have returned to Australia following the completion of their final overseas deployments before their scheduled retirement later this year.
The 138-metre-long sister ships HMAS Melbourne (pictured) and HMAS Newcastle arrived in Australia earlier this week and are set to conduct several port visits throughout the country including visits to their respective namesake cities.
Following the Adelaide-class ships' retirement, their role will be taken over by the new Hobart-class air warfare destroyers that began entering service in 2017.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Two more charged in deadly Missouri duck boat sinking
- Onezhsky Shipbuilding launches Project 3265 buoy tender
- Mermaid Maritime secures US$65 million loan facility for financing of DSV pair
- Apache North Sea awards second contract extension for Esvagt Observer
- Alaska's largest ferry to be taken out of service