The United Arab Emirates has claimed that four commercial ships were hit by "sabotage operations" on Sunday.
The country’s foreign ministry said that it was investigating an incident near Fujairah and that there were no fatalities.
While Emirati officials have declined to attribute the attack, the incident follows US warnings about attacks on maritime traffic by "Iran or its proxies".
Latest from The Australian Strategic Policy Institute
- US/Russian navy near-collision causes spat
- Non-operational Tupi-class subs to transfer from Brazil to Argentina
- Australia investigates navy contract padding for Adelaide class
- Former JMSDF commander warns of Chinese sub plan for Senkaku Islands
- Additional naval vessels promised during Australian election season