French shipbuilder Piriou has begun construction of a new series of three offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) for the Argentine Navy under a contract valued at €280 million (US$313 million).
Each warship will have an ice-strengthened hull, a length of 87 metres, a displacement of approximately 1,500 tonnes, a helicopter flight deck, and a 30-millimetre autocannon.
The OPVs' design will be a variation of that of the Gowind-class corvettes developed by Naval Group.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Future amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli completes builder's trials
- South Korean bulker boarded by pirates in South China Sea
- Saipem tapped to build wind farm offshore Saudi Arabia
- Hapag Lloyd, ONE to launch Middle East-India-Africa service
- Taiwan's first locally-built windfarm barge sails on maiden voyage