Huntington Ingalls Industries’ (HII) Ingalls Shipbuilding division held a keel laying and authentication ceremony for the future San Antonio-class landing platform dock (LPD) USS Richard M. McCool Jr. on Friday, April 12.
The vessel honours the late Captain Richard M. McCool Jr., who received the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Battle of Okinawa in the last year of World War II.
The future USS Richard M. McCool Jr. will have a length of 208 metres, a beam of 32 metres, a draught of seven metres, a helicopter deck, and a well deck for smaller amphibious landing craft like landing craft air cushion (LCAC) hovercraft.
- Wreck of WWII-era US patrol boat found off Maine
- New response boat delivered to US Coast Guard station in Burlington
- Nearly two million litres of oil recovered from WWII-era shipwreck off New York
- Foss' newest tug additions begin work in Alaska's North Slope
- Wuchang launches second littoral mission ship for Malaysian navy