Damen Shipyards Cape Town has begun construction on the first of three Multi-Mission Inshore Patrol Vessels (MMIPVs) for the South African Navy.
Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, South Africa’s Minister of Defence and Military Veterans, has stated that the vessels will perform a variety of missions including strike, mine countermeasures, torpedo recovery, anti-piracy, and anti-illegal fishing.
The 62-metre, 20-knot MMIPVs are scheduled to be delivered to the navy at a rate of one per year beginning in 2021.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Octomar takes delivery of Damen CTV
- Irving Shipbuilding to build AOPS pair for Canadian Coast Guard
- One killed, four injured in South Korean warship docking mishap
- Carnival cruise ship rescues distressed mariner from sinking boat in Mexican waters
- Indobaruna’s newest cement carrier launched at Fukuoka Shipbuilding