The Islamic Republic of Iran Navy has commissioned a new locally produced diesel-electric submarine that will be capable of firing cruise missiles.
Named Fateh (“Conqueror”), the submarine was commissioned in a ceremony led by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani at the port city of Bandar Abbas on Sunday, February 17.
The 600-tonne Fateh is the lead ship of a new class of “semi-heavy” Iranian submarines that will fill in the capability gap between the “light” 120-tonne Ghadir-class and the “heavy” 2,300-tonne Kilo-class.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Octomar takes delivery of Damen CTV
- Irving Shipbuilding to build AOPS pair for Canadian Coast Guard
- One killed, four injured in South Korean warship docking mishap
- Carnival cruise ship rescues distressed mariner from sinking boat in Mexican waters
- Indobaruna’s newest cement carrier launched at Fukuoka Shipbuilding