The Tasmanian Government has decided not to accept the Australian Government’s offer of the decommissioned Royal Australian Navy (RAN) frigate ex-HMAS Darwin for scuttling off the East Coast.
Tasmania’s Department of State Growth has stated it would cost in excess of A$12 million (US$8.54 million) to prepare and establish ex-HMAS Darwin as a dive wreck.
Additionally, the department has found there are further ongoing costs, approximately A$600,000 (US$430,000) per annum, to monitor and manage the dive wreck site that would not be covered by dive receipt permits.
- Australia's new subs may not enter service until 2035
- FEATURE | A "Son of Collins" submarine may one day prowl the oceans—just not under Australian colours
- Illegal foreign fishing vessel apprehended west of Darwin in waters off coast of Western Australia
- Smit Lamnalco takes delivery of final two Damen ASD tugs in four-vessel order
- Australia’s planned disaster relief ship to be used in South West Pacific