The US Navy has awarded General Dynamics Electric Boat a US$480.6 million contract modification to continue the development of the lead Columbia-class nuclear-powered ballistic-missile submarine (SSBN).
The modification includes funding for advance procurement, advance construction, and long lead time material for the future USS Columbia.
Construction of the lead ship of a planned fleet of 12 new SSBNs is scheduled to begin in the fall of 2020.
Initially awarded in September 2017, the overall contract has a potential value of US$6.1 billion.
- US Navy commissions expeditionary fast transport Puerto Rico
- US Supreme Court divided over USS Cole lawsuit against Sudan
- Bath Iron Works begins construction of US Navy destroyer Patrick Gallagher
- Taiwan commissions two ex-US Navy frigates
- USS Ashland to support Typhoon Yutu recovery effort in Northern Marianas