US-based shipbuilder Metal Shark has delivered another six new military patrol boats to the Vietnam Coast Guard.
This order follows an initial six-vessel delivery of 13.7-metre Defiant-class patrol boats to the Vietnam Coast Guard in the province of Quang Nam in May 2017.
The new patrol boats were handed over at a delivery ceremony on March 28 at the Vietnam Coast Guard’s Region 4 station on Phu Quoc Island, the southwestern territory of Vietnam.
The boats were part of a US$20 million transfer of infrastructure and equipment by the US to Vietnam.
The delivery also included a training centre, maintenance facility, boat lift, vehicles, and a navigation simulator.
The patrol boats will be used to combat smuggling, illicit trafficking, piracy and armed robbery on the high seas, illegal fishing and environmental degradation.
- Metal Shark to build seven more 8m response boats for US Coast Guard
FEATURE | Hanoi and Washington’s emerging naval alliance
Ocean Queen Rockstar delivered to NYC Ferry
Passenger ferry for NYC Ferries arrives in New York
- Metal Shark and ASV Global announce autonomous vessels
Latest from Baird Maritime
- VESSEL REVIEW | 455298 – High-spec police landing craft for remote Australia
- VESSEL REVIEW | Anse Bleue and Cap Salomon – France looks east to serve west
- VESSEL REVIEW | Njord Zenith – BMT’s new crewboat for Njord Offshore
- Australia set to stop northern summer sheep exports
- VESSEL REVIEW | Sea Express II – SeaCat Ships’ new 29-metre Caribbean eco-ferry