Austal USA has finalised the delivery to the US Navy of its expeditionary fast transport (EPF) ship USNS City of Bismarck (EPF 9) at its Mobile, Alabama shipyard.
Designed to operate in shallow and narrow ports and waterways, the 103.0-metre-long City of Bismarck is an aluminium catamaran capable of transporting 600 tonnes up to 1,200 nautical miles at an average speed of 35 knots.
The ship's flight deck can also support flight operations for a wide variety of manned and unmanned aircraft, including a CH-53 Super Stallion.
EPF 9 is the second ship in this program Austal delivered in 2017, after USNS Yuma (EPF 8). Three other Spearhead-class EPFs - Burlington (EPF 10), Puerto Rico (EPF 11) and EPF 12 - are under construction at Austal’s shipyard.
- US cruise missile submarine Ohio completes 27-month refit
- Yet to be commissioned US Coast Guard cutter seizes US$64 million in drugs
- CSIRO vessel to search for US Navy oiler sunk in Battle of the Coral Sea
- FEATURE | Joint US-UK escort for ships transiting Strait of Hormuz
- NTSB identifies insufficient training, lack of oversight in McCain collision
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Over 200 evacuated following chemical leak on Swedish ferry
- Turkey abandons salvage efforts on sunken cargo ship
- NTSB cites overloading, poor stability assessment in fatal fishing boat capsizing
- Robert Allan Ltd, MTU unveil design of LNG-fueled pushboat
- Prosafe platform gets fourth contract extension under Equinor