The Pilbara Ports Authority (PPA) has contracted Jan De Nul Group to dredge the channel and to further enhance access to the Port of Port Hedland in Western Australia.
The dredging forms the second stage of the Channel Risk and Optimisation Project.
Jan De Nul will mobilise its large self-propelled cutter suction dredger Niccoló Machiavelli for the project during the first quarter of 2019.
The project is expected to be completed by mid-2019 and will provide, once completed, an emergency passing lane alongside the shipping channel, enhanced water refuge zones, and increased water depth in targeted areas of the access channel.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Future amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli completes builder's trials
- South Korean bulker boarded by pirates in South China Sea
- Saipem tapped to build wind farm offshore Saudi Arabia
- Hapag Lloyd, ONE to launch Middle East-India-Africa service
- Taiwan's first locally-built windfarm barge sails on maiden voyage