DP World has begun construction work on the development of the multi-purpose Berbera port in the Republic of Somaliland.
The first phase will consist of building a 400-metre quay and 250,000-square-metre yard extension as well as the development of a free zone to create a new regional trading hub.
DP World Berbera, the joint venture company, will also serve land locked countries in the Horn of Africa such as Ethiopia which has a 19 per cent stake in the project as a shareholder.
Long-term DP World partner Shafa Al Nahda Contracting has been awarded the construction contract for the port expansion.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- VESSEL REVIEW | Raju – Estonia’s new pollution-combating hybrid patrol ship
- VESSEL REVIEW | Kingston – Versatile Damen CSD for South Australian council
- VESSEL REVIEW | Bona Fide – Shrimps beware
- VESSEL REVIEW | 455298 – High-spec police landing craft for remote Australia
- VESSEL REVIEW | Anse Bleue and Cap Salomon – France looks east to serve west