Wilhelmsen Ship Management acquires stake in Ahrenkiel Tankers

Photo: Wilhelmsen

Wilhelmsen Ship Management (WSM) has entered into an agreement to acquire a majority stake in Hamburg-based Ahrenkiel Tankers.

The transaction will result in WSM taking over the management of five tankers. WSM will gain 80 per cent ownership of Ahrenkiel Tankers under the deal, with the remaining 20 per cent to be held by existing owners the MPC Capital Group.

Ahrenkiel Tankers will be rebranded as Barber Ship Management. Wilhelmsen Ship Management was originally named Barber Ship Management when it was first incorporated in Hong Kong in 1975.

The acquisition marks WSM’s re-entry into the tanker segment following a decade-long absence.

Baird Maritime

The best maritime site on the web. The sea's our scene!