The Daily Mirror reports that the Indian government has allocated US$56 million to dismantle bottom trawling boats and replacing them with new deep-sea longliners.
The grant has been issued to deter local and Tamil Nadu trawlers from fishing in Sri Lankan waters.
Cochin Shipyard and the Central Institute of Fisheries Technology jointly developed and designed the longliners with Cochin Shipyard lined up to construct them too.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- VESSEL REVIEW | SST Grizzly and SST Orca – Escort tug beasts for British Columbia
- FEATURE | BIMCO: Maritime powers need to deploy in Gulf of Guinea
- FEATURE | US container imports break records but uncertainty lies ahead
- FEATURE | Battle for the supply chain to aide container supply-demand balance
- VESSEL REVIEW | Harald – Flexible landing craft for Stockholm archipelago