The Daily Mirror reports that the Indian government has allocated US$56 million to dismantle bottom trawling boats and replacing them with new deep-sea longliners.
The grant has been issued to deter local and Tamil Nadu trawlers from fishing in Sri Lankan waters.
Cochin Shipyard and the Central Institute of Fisheries Technology jointly developed and designed the longliners with Cochin Shipyard lined up to construct them too.
Latest from Baird Maritime
- Belgium orders new research vessel
- VESSEL REVIEW | Klara 1 – High quality for high pressure times
- VESSEL REVIEW | Fathom – Canadian resort's new taxi/tourist boat
- VESSEL REVIEW | Raiymbek Batyr – Part of a six-vessel tug fleet for Khazakstan
- VLCC equipped with sail propulsion system completes sea trials