By Bill Leonard
A brilliantly presented and immensely valuable record of the pioneering days of Western Australia’s fishing and pearling industries, the men who conducted them and the boats that served them.
The author is a master shipwright who has an enormous knowledge of and passion for wooden boats and ships. He knows what he is writing about and, rarely and unusually, he also draws those vessels impressively well. In addition to being the leading shipwright on the construction of the HMS Endeavour and Dufken replicas, he has been involved with the Western Australian Museum’s excellent and very valuable collection of former working vessels in Fremantle. He knows many of the vessels described “close up and personally”.
Even when he did not know them personally, the author also knows a lot about the men who sailed and worked the vessels described and about their businesses and the industry sectors in which they operated. He describes them well.
The Western Australian fishing and pearling sectors, while past their heyday, are still important contributors to the Australian economy. So, while this fine book is a magnificent record of a vital part of Australia’s maritime history, it also makes a valuable contribution to the record of the country’s economic history. A true “collector’s item”.
Available from the Western Australian Museum, Welshpool, Australia.
- Tasmanian government declines offer of decommissioned RAN frigate
- VESSEL REVIEW | John Duigan – King Island’s new purpose-built landing craft
- Australia announces additional conditions for live sheep exports
- Cordina Marine to build parks and wildlife patrol boat
BOOK REVIEW | Disputed Victory – Schley, Sampson and the Spanish-American War of 1898
in Book Reviews
Latest from Neil Baird
- BOOK REVIEW | Great Powers, Grand Strategies – The New Game in the South China Sea
- BOOK REVIEW | Disputed Victory – Schley, Sampson and the Spanish-American War of 1898
- VESSEL REVIEW | SeaBubbles – Electric hydrofoil water taxi launched on Lake Geneva
- BOOK REVIEW | Admiral of the Third Reich – Erich Raeder
- BOOK REVIEW | In Many a Strife – General Gerald C Thomas and the US Marine Corps 1917-1956