Iran's state news outlets have reported that there are now at least 70 people who perished as a result of an explosion and a subsequent fire at a port in the southern city of Bandar Abbas late last week.
The blaze was triggered by an explosion at one of the oil storage tanks at the Port of Shahid Rajaee at around 21:00 local time on Saturday, April 26. A large part of the port became engulfed in thick black smoke, though all known fires in the area were fully extinguished as of Monday, April 28.
The initial death toll reported by the Iranian authorities was 40.
Of the more than 1,200 people who suffered injuries, only 120 remain in hospital, Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni told reporters on Monday.
Momeni said that Saturday's explosion was caused by negligence and failure to comply with safety regulations, adding that those responsible have been identified and ordered to submit themselves for questioning.
The Iranian Government has denied reports that the storage tank that was the source of the explosion at the port contained missile fuel at the time of the incident.