|Global warming still a threat despite cool 2008|
|Thursday, 12 March 2009 15:08|
Climatologists at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies have said that last year was the Earth’s coolest year since 2000.
However, the climatologists were also quick to say that this does not mean that global warming is no longer a threat. Despite 2008 being the coolest year in eight years, it was still the ninth warmest year since continuous instrumental records were started in 1880; and the ten warmest years have all occurred between 1997 and 2008, the Environment New Service stated.
Dr James Hansen of the Goddard Institute explained that the cooler temperature last year was partly due to the Sun’s passing through a solar minimum, defined as a low point in a ten to twelve year electromagnetic cycle of activity.
Latest Book Reviews
- Admiral Nimitz: The Commander of the Pacific Ocean Theater
- A Plain Sailorman In China: The Life and Time of Cdr. I.V. Gillis, USN 1875-1948
- Double Cross: The True Story of the D-Day Spies
- What’s In It For You?
- The Naval Institute Guide To The Ships And Aircraft Of The U.S. Fleet
- Two Roads To War: The French and British Air Arms from Versailles to Dunkirk
- The World Of Arthur Ransom
Latest CommentsChaithra: A recent Boat/US Magazine atclrie reported that 70% of boat sales were sales of used boats. It's no ...
Dermot bremner: Every system has its day, they have their day and cease to be .
Alfred Lord Tennyson
aryastark: I have been having a whole discussion with my friend's husband (who is an engineer) aboutnatural gas...
Nazery Khalid: Hi Ross
Greetings from Malaysia. Thanks for your comment and for sharing your invention...