|John Paul Jones - America's First Sea Warrior|
|Saturday, 26 May 2007 11:47|
Author: Joseph Callo Publisher: Naval Institute Press Published: 2006
From Baird Online:
John Paul Jones, America’s greatest naval hero was born a Scot. Originally a merchant adventurer captain he moved to the Colony of Virginia in 1773. This began his affiliation with what became the United States of America soon afterwards. Jones was a tempestuous, rather undisciplined individual, more in the style of Drake than Nelson. He nevertheless had a strong "go at 'em" approach of the Nelson and Cochrane kind.
His short but exciting and fascinating life is well described in this carefully researched book. The author is a retired Rear Admiral USN who is also an enthusiastic sailor and successful maritime historian. He knows his stuff. As well as the well known facts about Jones, this author delves deep into his psyche. He understands his Scottish obsession with liberty and is well aware of the hero’s failings. A really good "warts and all" biography of one of the great naval heroes of all time.
Ordering Information:Naval Institute Press Annapolis, USA. PH: +1 800 233 8764 Web: www.navalinstitute.org
Latest Book Reviews
- French Designs On Colonial New South Wales: François Péron’s Memoir on the English Settlement in New Holland, Van Diemen’s Land and The Archipelagos of the Great Pacific Ocean
- Through Albert’s Eyes: Volume 2 of the British Navy at War and Peace
- Coping With Piracy: Maritime Security Handbook
- Salt Of The Sea: Tales from Commercial Fishermen
- Doctor On Board: Your Practical Guide to Medical Emergencies at Sea
- The Woodhen: A Flightless Island Bird Defying Extinction
- Casualty Management Guidelines
Latest CommentsKenny: Mermaid Sapphire is not a Mermaid Marine Australia vessel. The vessel is owned by Thai Company with ...
Rob simm: How does seeing a vessel operating outside of Australia in Sakalin, have anything to do with the MUA...
Dan Westerlund: To be noted that bigger (wider) ships can be built in Turku than in Papenburg. There have been negot...
Richard Stretch: Hi I am looking for information regarding Robert Farquhar.He was working at Walkers Limited earley i...