|Mysterious sale of CMA CGM boxship|
|Thursday, 28 January 2010 09:35|
Mystery surrounds the sale of a Hanjin-built 6,500TEU vessel which was ordered by France’s CMA CGM.
According to Asiasis, the deal has been “shrouded in mystery; precise details of the transaction, including the identity of the new owner are hard to ascertain.”
The Korean publication reported that top executives from the French shipping line had arrived in Seoul to conduct meetings with Hanjin Heavy Industries after it sold the vessel to another buyer.
The ‘CMA CGM Kessel’, which has since been re-named, was reportedly sold for as little as US$41 million. The original price of the vessel was US$99 million. CMA CGM reportedly made a down payment of 50 percent of the newbuilding price, and this is said to have been forfeited.
CMA CGM took delivery of the ‘CMA CGM Corneille’ but was unable to raise funds for pay the outstanding amounts due for three other containership which were completed in 2009.
Asiasis reported that Greece’s George Economou was the likely purchaser of the vessel in question, though the deal was supposedly done in a “private capacity” and did not involve Mr Economou’s company, DryShips.
Latest Book Reviews
- Dive Truk Lagoon: The Japanese WWII Pacific Shipwrecks
- HELMEPA’s Guide On Us Coast Guard Port State Control Examinations
- ITS 2014: The 23rd International Tug, Salvage & Osv Convention And Exhibition
- Méditerranée Mer Vivante: 18th édition
- Australia’s Secret War: How Unionists Sabotaged our Troops in World War II
- The Accidental Admiral: A Sailor Takes Command at NATO
- Performance By Design: Hydrodynamics for High-Speed Vessels
Latest CommentsTodd Hamilton: Agreed on all counts. Another point to take into account is contracts are sometimes paid for before...
anna sinclair: I am working at Deep water point and would like to know the history of Paspaley family
Dave: Perhaps a bit more research would have helped your article accuracy on the push for more recreationa...
Fred: Meanwhile you guys wonder why no one pays your rants any attention. Took me quite sometime to go thr...